The church was designed by William Swinden Barber, a Halifax architect who specialised in churches. Barber was also engaged to design the almshouses and the church’s fixtures and fittings. The cost of building the church and almshouses in 1880 came to £2,750.
The building of the church was undertaken by local craftsmen. Thomas Stafford was a well known local craftsman and stone mason and Joseph Hudson was a local joiner. The excellent quality of the work was commented on and the architect praised their ‘good workmanship and willingness’.
Many different companies were involved in supplying the furnishings for the church. The organ (which no longer exists) was made in Wakefield by Kirklands. The gas lights, altar rail and some of the decorative ironwork were supplied by a Coventry based company, Richardson Ellson & Co. The floor tiles were provided by an internationally famous tile and ceramic manufacturer, Maw & Co.
Restoring the Powell Bros. murals. Charles and Albert Powell founded a stained glass studio in Leeds in 1872. Although best known for their stained glass they undertook the decorative work
throughout the church.
The stained glass windows were created by the internationally famous studio of Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907). Kempe established his business in 1866 and by 1888 his busy London studio employed
over 50 people. His windows can be seen in many cathedrals in England, including Gloucester, Lichfield and St Pauls, London.
Jones and Willis of Birmingham were the largest supplier of church furnishings in the country. Their catalogues show the range of objects that could be purchased. The church’s communion plate,
brass vases and lectern were all manufactured by Jones and Willis.
The 13th century style stone pulpit and the font were carved by John Thompson of Peterborough. He worked on a number of important Victorian churches.