Craftsmanship & Creating The Church

The church was designed by William Swinden Barber, a Halifax architect who specialised in churches. Barber was also engaged to design the almshouses and the church’s fixtures and fittings. The cost of building the church and almshouses in 1880 came to £2,750.

The building of the church was undertaken by local craftsmen. Thomas Stafford was a well known local craftsman and stone mason and Joseph Hudson was a local joiner. The excellent quality of the work was commented on and the architect praised their ‘good workmanship and willingness’.

Many different companies were involved in supplying the furnishings for the church. The organ (which no longer exists) was made in Wakefield by Kirklands. The gas lights, altar rail and some of the decorative ironwork were supplied by a Coventry based company, Richardson Ellson & Co. The floor tiles were provided by an internationally famous tile and ceramic manufacturer, Maw & Co.

© Spring Bank Arts 2017 | Web Design - Platform81 Ltd